Pompeii & Mount Vesuvius Tour with Kids
If you have the time during your stay in Rome and you’ve already planned to see the highlights of our city, consider taking a daytrip for your family to the ruins of Pompeii and a hike to the still active volcano of Mt. Vesuvius.
These famous sites just southeast of Naples are often learned about in schools around the world. This trip is the perfect opportunity to bring their classroom learning to life.
Pompeii was destroyed and covered by the famous eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 AD, this early Roman town (along with Herculaneum and other nearby villas) was lost for 1500 years before it was rediscovered. Now an UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is one of the top tourist destinations in Italy.
During our excursion from Rome you will be driven in comfort to the town of Pompeii where you will meet your guide and have the chance to visit the whole ancient city of Pompeii. Our local guide will show you and your family how the ancient Romans of Pompeii used to spend their days, how they used to have fun, and which where the most important business of that period.
Then, after your visit to Pompeii you will drive up to the national park of Mt. Vesuvius where you can hike to the edge of the crater to see up close the volcano responsible for the destruction of the town from where you just came.
The eruption of 79 AD is considered one of the most catastrophic and famous eruptions of all time. Many children find this geological information and history amazing. Including this famous site that they will or have already learned about during your family vacation to Italy is one they will not soon forget!
THE ITINERARY ABOVE DESCRIBES A FULL DAY EXCURSION FROM ROME BUT IF YOU ARE STAYING NEAR POMPEII AND YOU ARE INTERESTED IN VISITING POMPEII ONLY IN A HALF-DAY (WITHOUT MT. VESUVIUS) PLEASE CONTACT US AT FOR A QUICK QUOTE firstname.lastname@example.org
- A minimum of 24 hours notice is required in order to reserve this tour. This does not guarantee availability, especially during high season.
- The option to combine this tour with another venue for a full day excursion includes one of the following: Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Naples city tour, or a scenic drive to the Amalfi Coast.
- The excursion from Rome will depart from your hotel at 7am and will return in the evening arriving at approximately 8pm depending on traffic conditions and the 2nd venue selected for a full day excursion.
- Entrance tickets are required.
- This tour is available everyday except major holidays.
- This tour is mostly outdoors and will continue as scheduled in rainy weather. Bring appropriate raingear if rain is advised. - Comfortable walking shoes are suggested. The terrain at Pompeii is uneven with large cobblestones.
- Sunscreen and bottled water is recommended, especially during hot, sunny days.
- Our private transportation service uses late model 8-passenger Mercedes brand vans. You will travel comfortably and in style, not on a bus with a large group of other passengers.
Our trip was something I thought would be cool to experience for us, and it turned out to be better than I anticipated. That’s why I like to share my experience with others. My brother-in-law's family had never been to Rome, or Italy and my daughter wanted to spend her summer break with her twin cousin sisters, Ruth and Natalya. Then we planned a family tour to Rome.
I have traveled extensively with my daughter and was always searching for wonderful child friendly guides, who could capture my daughter's attention, who would make it interesting and meaningful too. We loved our trip to Rome. Our tour guides (Cristiana and Roberta) were really wonderful. They were easy going, knowledgeable, and also passionate. They treated our kids in such a way that they became friends of them.
We loved our trip to Rome. I asked each of the kids to tell me their favorite parts of the trip and this is what they had to say. Ruth’s favorite was visiting the Colosseum which is the most iconic landmark in the city. She wanted to film as much footage as she could while she was there because it was such a cool setting. Mayra’s favorite one was throwing coins in Trevi Fountain.
Natalya’s favorite was walking up the Spanish Steps and taking in the views of the city at the top. We ventured to the National Archaeological Museum. It was mind-blowing. What an awesome sight to see for the kids. I was surprised to see how interested they were in the Roman architecture. It was very peaceful and mind provoking. We had the best guides ever, because they made sure that we were well aware of the historical value behind everything we experienced.
The Vatican was amazing, too. Thanks a lot Cristiana and Roberta, as well as “Rome Tours With Kids” company for making our holiday such special and comfortable. We learned interesting facts and were able to breeze through these parts of our planned sightseeing and this made it possible to do so much more with our limited time in this glorious city. Rome really is an amazing space to wander around. It’s this ancient space that you can be in, touch, and explores; I recommend trying “Rome Tours With Kids” for private tours of Rome those who have kids.